Located within the walls of Maiolati Spontini in an ancient building dating back to the 15th century, the cellar is characterized by a historic canal* where once upon a time, many local farmers used to bring grapes for traditional pressing. It is comprised of three adjacent stone rooms with attached tuff caves, commonly found in the underground passages of the entire medieval village.
* as pictured above
History of the Town
The town is located on ancient land long disputed by the Byzantines and the Lombards. From 1219 it was named Magnolati, later changing its name to Castrum from sometime after 1283. On top of a gentle hill, the Maiolati Castle originates from the thirteenth century, as property of the Contado di Jesi. Man started cultivating the land in the surrounding area, including grapes.
The vineyard was well cared for by the ancient majolates who participated in the struggles between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines, and had their home base in Maiolati.
Wars, riots, instability had left deep traces and this was from humus to the spread of rebellious tendencies mixed with heretical attitudes. And here the Fraticelli settle in the Castelli di Maiolati, their point of reference in the March of Ancona. The Inquisitor San Giacomo della Marca arrived, in 1428 the castle was destroyed and the fires burned.
The destiny of Maiolati is then confused with that of the Castles subjected in the Contado of Jesi, under the papal aegis.
This did not prevent the birth and glory of the great composer Gaspare Spontini who from his native hill conquered Europe between the 18th and 19th centuries. The castle proudly bears now in the name: Maiolati Spontini.
So land of rebels and musical geniuses that good wine has nourished and nourished.
Soc. Agricola in A.S. di Piccioni Andrea & C.
Via Marconi, 16 - 60030 - Maiolati Spontini (AN) Italia
C.F e P.Iva 02737190427